Data for peoples, languages, and religions of South Asia
The Peoples of South Asia dataset includes both an extensive Microsoft Access database as well as GIS data for the peoples, languages, and religions of South Asia. Population figures are given for district populations for India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, and Myanmar and figures are given at the province level for Afghanistan.
Researchers interested in the complex cultural realities of South Asia will find this data extremely valuable.
- Database application and GIS data allow density mapping of over 2,000 community (people) groups, over 200 language groups, and 8 religious groups
- Database application also creates a number of reports for use outside the GIS environment
- Population numbers are consistent with 2001 census, but are subdivided into smaller community groups based on population ratios from earlier censuses and surveys (notably the "Great Census" of 1931, which was the last census to ask about caste membership)
- GIS software capable of reading ESRI shapefile format (.shp).
- The product has been tested on ESRI's ArcView 8.2, 8.3, and 9.x.
- Microsoft Access
- Windows system to run self-extracting .exe installation files. This need not be the computer running the GIS system, but must be able to write data to a location accessible by the GIS system.
All other technical specifications can be found in the following PDF document: